Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Oblivious


So, the other day I needed to do a few errands. You know a little of this and a little of that. First stop was the shoe store. I spent quite a while there, quizzing the sales attendant who's eyes seemed to twinkle a little, almost in mockery, when he looked at me. He assured me of the shoes' sturdy but comfortable soles, and I soon forgot about the twinkle. Next was the bank, where everyone I looked at was smiling at me. I just held my purse a little tighter, assumed everyone was having a fabulous day, and smiled back. London Drugs was my next stop. I knew what I needed, so I was pretty much in and out, and yet I couldn't help noticing that the cashier's exasperation seemed to intensify once I was the customer she was attending to.
"How are you today?" She asked although all I heard was, what on earth do you want from me?
"Fine," I said hesitantly, confused by the combinations of odd behaviour that had been going on all day, "The weather's been really nice lately, no?"
"Mmm hmm" she muttered in time with the beeping of the barcode scanner.
I got in my car and drove home, all the while perplexed as to the source of this strange behaviour. I was mulling it over in my head on the way home, up the driveway, up the stairs, and as I entered the bathroom and glanced in the mirror, it all became clear. Unfortunately someone with a striking resemblance to Alfalfa from the Little Rascals was staring back at me. Fantastic.

5 comments:

thomasw said...

hehehe, i love the way you write about things vaguely at times, 'you know a little of this and a little of that.' it adds a mystique to the everyday. btw, have heard of these guys? http://radio3.cbc.ca/play/band/THE-VIOLET-ARCHERS/Co-ordinates/

Greg McLeod said...

If imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, consider yourself imitated. I tried the "delaying the punchline to the very end" thing, and it's pretty fun. Thanks.

Natalia said...

*snort*

*and chuckle*

cute... much more than being caught in the bog by you and your beau with my pants wet past my knees from wading through puddles!

Natalia said...

ack I can't believe I used beau... it is so mrs. douglas

MilliVanilli said...

Mr.w-no i haven't heard of them, i'll have a look.
Greg, I only do it because I know there's no other way anyone will read to the end of my post...
Natalia, ha ha, yes, we thought we could leave her behind for the break...obviously not.